Saturday, August 23, 2008

The Beginning of Craftiness

I was trying to remember my first "crafty projects."

I tried counted cross stitch. My mom taught me how to follow the patterns. I may still have some of the hankies that I did.

The first sewing that I ever did was on my mom's machine. I very clearly remember that she let me use it, taught me how to run the fabric through, and keep my fingers out of the way! But I can't think of one single thing I may have made!

Before I had a sewing machine of my own, I fell in love with quilts. I completely hand-sewed a baby quilt. My thought was that it didn't matter how long it took me to finish, because we were not having a little one any time soon. It turned out shockingly well, especially since I was self taught and hadn't even bothered to read any sort of how-to info. (It might have been a good idea to at least know to wash the fabric first!)

A few years ago I found a tutorial for how to make an easy tote bag on-line and I was hooked. So many more fabrics can be used for bags. I spent hours in the fabric stores. I made more bags that I could possibly use myself, so I gave them to friends.

And my sewing "hobby" has just spiraled out of control from there!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

YAY for the new blog site!! LOVE IT!! Can't wait to read more!! :)

Love,
Michelle