Monday, December 1, 2008

December 1st

It's here. December is officially here. Which means that Christmas is seriously right around the corner.

Normally my thoughts are completely occupied with what gifts I need to make and buy. I have found that I spend more time worrying about what I need to do instead of enjoying the moment. This year, I hope to be different!

Tell me about a Christmas tradition in your family. Either one from your childhood, or something you do now. I love to hear what others do to make the holidays fun, special things families do together.

Here's one of ours!

Every year on Christmas Eve I help my children make a birthday cake, decorated with red and green. On Christmas morning, we sing Happy Birthday to baby Jesus and eat birthday cake for breakfast!

4 comments:

The Pittsburgh Hites said...

Our big tradition here in Pittsburgh is going to get our tree. Since we always come home for Christmas, we do all "our" family stuff before hand. There is a great Christmas tree farm about half an hour away, and when you get there, they load you up in a big wagon, and take you out to the trees. They leave you off, with a saw, and let you wander around in the trees. It usually takes a lot of collaboration for the three(now four) of us to decide on a tree. Greg always wants to go big, lol, and last year our tree had to be cut down a bit to fit in our old house!
When you find the perfect tree, you drag it to the side, and they come and pick you up and load it up for you. They even help you put it in the truck. When you go inside the shop, they have it all decorated for Christmas, and have free cookies and hot cocoa all set out. It's just a good day for us, it gets us ready for the rest of the season.
ps. we even made a tree skirt to go under our tree ourselves two years ago!
(we also do the birthday cake at Mema's, all though never for breakfast....i might have to suggest that this year!)

Anonymous said...

When we were little, my family created a paper chain that we hung in the kitchen. It included 1 chain link (sometimes we put sayings in them) per day in December up until Christmas. Each day we would rip the chain link off and see how it got smaller and smaller as we got to Christmas day - which was always very exciting!

Anonymous said...

And I forgot to say my name in the comment! It was from Michelle :)

Anonymous said...

I love the paper chain idea! I am going to do that with my kids... we will have to start a little later in the chain - but what a fun way to count down!